Maison Joseph Drouhin
Abour Maison Joseph Drouhin
The eponymous Joseph Drouhin founded the négociant company, which bears his name in 1880, having spent much of his early life in Yonne. His son Maurice took over in 1918, buying the first vineyards, including the famous Clos des Mouches, which we are delighted to offer below. An arduous process of expansion thanks to the nature of Burgundy’s patchwork of owners, Maurice was finally able to carve out quite the empire for his family, which endures to this day.
A titanic character in Beaune, Maurice both sat on the INAO committee and acted as deputy administrator of the Hospices de Beaune throughout the turbulent World War II. At the height of his powers, Drouhin even had exclusive distribution rights to Domaine de la Romanée-Conti. However, he was unable to purchase a portion of the company, which subsequently went to Leroy.
His successor was his nephew Robert Jeausset-Drouhin, who took charge in 1957. Still maintaining a watchful eye over proceedings, Robert has ceded main control to his children (and fourth generation) Frédéric, Laurent, Philippe and Véronique. Philippe Drouhin manages the vineyards biodynamically, and as of 2009, their entire range has the ECOCERT organic certification.