About Château Cantenac-Brown
Château Cantenac Brown is an 1855 classified third growth, located in Cantenac within the most prestigious Médoc appellation, Margaux. The vineyard lies across the Margaux and Cantenac plateaus: 39.5 hectares of gravelly soil and clay-limestone soils, as well as 16 hectares of small gravel plots and 5 hectares of clay-limestone plots. This diversity of terroirs offers a great richness to the blending process and ensures constant quality over several vintages.
The vineyard was founded in 1806 by a Scotsman, John Lewis Brown. His hard work and high standards were rewarded in 1855 when the Bordeaux Classification ranked Cantenac Brown among the most esteemed vineyards.
A spectacular testimony to its Scottish ancestry: the estate’s emblematic Tudor-style château makes it the most remarkable property in the Médoc region. The Château is surrounded by an immense garden featuring the arboretum initially planted by John Lewis Brown.
Today the Château is managed by the French family Le Lous. Tristan Le Lous, an agronomist with a passion for oenology, is very involved in managing the estate, together with José Sanfins, who is inextricably linked with the estate’s modern history. The meeting of this twosome was a pivotal milestone.
In 2020, aware of the importance of preserving the estate’s land and exceptional environment, Tristan Le Lous and José Sanfins launched the construction of a new wine cellar built entirely of raw earth in which environmental quality standards are set at today’s highest possible level, while guaranteeing thermal inertia and the perfect humidity for ageing thanks to the power of the earth.